Chicago Fire 1, Toronto FC 2 | 2016 MLS Match Recap
Toronto FC dropped out of the Eastern Conference lead after their one-week layoff – then picked right back up where they were before FIFA's international break, with three big away points that leapfrogged them into first place once again.
Jozy Altidore had a goal and an assist, and TFC withstood the Chicago Fire's comeback bid after the hour mark to take a 2-1 away decison on Saturday night.
- CHI: Fire's manager has no regrets about not starting David Accam against TFC
- TOR: TFC's Jozy Altidore hitting stride at pivotal moments for club and country
- 32' - TOR - Jozy Altidore (Justin Morrow, Will Johnson)
- 52' - TOR - Jonathan Osorio (Jozy Altidore)
- 58' - CHI - Michael de Leeuw (John Goossens)
- Full Box Score
- Watch Highlights
- JOZY ON A ROLL: Jozy Altidore struggled with a hamstring injury early in the season, but he's hitting his stride at a big time for both club and country. His goal against the Fire was his sixth of the year in MLS play – and while it was his first this month for Toronto FC, it was his fourth overall. Altidore scored three goals in recent World Cup qualifying for the United States, including a brace on Tuesday in a 4-0 victory over Trinidad & Tobago.
- THE LION KEEPS ROARING: Michael de Leeuw's midseason arrival has provided a spark for the Fire's production, and he's on a goalscoring run of his own right now. De Leeuw's 58th-minute goal on Saturday gave him scores in three consecutive matches for Chicago.
- SHIELD HOPES IN TORONTO?: Saturday night's events gave a boost to TFC's hopes that their current run of form could lead to the first Supporters' Shield for a Canadian MLS team. They lead the Eastern Conference on 46 points – and after FC Dallas' 1-0 home loss to Colorado, Toronto sit just five back of the Shield leaders with a game in hand. TFC have six matches left on their schedule, to five for Dallas.
- CHI: Friday, September 16 vs. D.C. United, 8pm ET (UniMás, MLS LIVE)
- TOR: Sunday, September 18 vs. New York Red Bulls, 5pm ET (FOX, FOX Sports GO | TSN2 in Canada)