New England Revolution 3, New York City FC 1 | 2016 MLS Match Recap
The New England Revolution playoff push went into another gear Saturday night with a thorough 3-1 win over a listless New York City FC squad at Gillette Stadium.
The Revs (8-12-9) pulled within a point of the playoff line in the East with their second impressive home victory, following a 2-0 win over the Colorado Rapids on September 3. NYCFC (12-9-8), meanwhile, put their hold atop the East in peril with a second loss in the last three games.
- NE: NE Revolution keep playoff hopes alive with "complete game" win over NYCFC
- NYC: NYCFC coach Patrick Vieira: "We didn't play at all" in loss to Revolution
- 21’ – NE – Juan Agudelo (Diego Fagundez)
- 42’ – NE – Lee Nguyen (Kelyn Rowe, Andrew Farrell)
- 49’ – NYC – Frank Lampard (RJ Allen, Andrea Pirlo)
- 58’ – NE – Diego Fagundez (Juan Agudelo)
- Full box score
- Watch highlights
- REVVING UP AT THE RIGHT TIME: With five losses in six games, it appeared the Revs were left for dead, but when the calendar turned to September, New England has turned it on. It started with a 2-0 win over the Colorado Rapids and has continued with a comprehensive victory over NYCFC. The Revs are within a point of the red line in the East, but have played two more games than sixth-place Orlando City SC.
- BUMPY ROAD: Once the hottest team away from home in MLS, NYCFC have stumbled on the road of late. Since a 3-1 victory over the Montreal Impact on July 17, NYCFC are 0-3-2 and have been outscored 12-6 in those games.
- TERRIFIC TRIO: In back-to-back wins at Gillette, the Revs have had huge performances from Juan Agudelo, Diego Fagundez and Lee Nguyen. Agudelo has two goals and an assist, Fagundez has a goal and two assists and Nguyen has one goal and one assist.