San Jose Earthquakes 1, Seattle Sounders FC 1 | 2016 MLS Match Recap
Ninety minutes couldn't separate Western Conference rivals San Jose Earthquakes and Seattle Sounders FC, who battled to a 1-1 draw on Saturday night in San Jose.
The Quakes spent most of the first 20 minutes sending in cross after cross (10 during that span), but when Jordan Stewart changed up the script, it had immediate results. From inside the penalty area, Stewart played a a low centering ball that Chris Wondolowski ran onto for the opening goal.
The lead held for 60 minutes, but the Sounders were able to equalize on a free kick from a dangerous position. Nicolas Lodeiro looked brilliant in the end, as his attempt sailed over the wall and dipped down to bounce in front of David Bingham – who couldn't see it until it was too late. Unable to recover, Bingham and the Quakes watched the points cross the line.
- SJ: Chris Wondolowski extends goal record, but Earthquakes can't keep result
- SEA: One objective for Nicolas Lodeiro and Seattle Sounders: "Make the playoffs"
- 20' - SJ - Chris Wondolowski (Jordan Stewart)
- 80' - SEA - Nicolas Lodeiro
- Full Box Score
- Watch Highlights
- WONDO KEEPS ON SCORING: Wondolowski sat on this milestone for five games, but he's now gone seven straight years in MLS with 10 or more goals. That streak extends an MLS record – that he owns.
- QUAKES QUENCH DROUGHT: It wasn't just Wondolowski that was having a hard time finding the back of the net, as a team the Earthquakes hadn't scored in 216 minutes going into Saturday's match against the Sounders. The draw is the team's first point in the standings since August 12th.
- SOUNDERS LOVE THAT LODEIRO: Since joining the Sounders, Nicolas Lodeiro has been involved in just about every goal they've scored. That's not exaggeration; of the thirteen goals the Sounders have scored since he signed with the club Lodeiro scored three and assisted on six. That's almost three-quaters of the offensive production.
They Said It
"For me this was a must-win game. I thought we did everything in our power to try and get that victory."
—Jordan Stewart, San Jose Earthquakes Defender
- SJ: Saturday, September 17 at Colorado Rapids (9pm ET; MLS LIVE)
- SEA: Saturday, September 17 vs. Vancouver Whitecaps (4pm ET, MLS LIVE)