Real Salt Lake 0, FC Dallas 0 | 2016 MLS Match Recap
Defense reigned at Rio Tinto Stadium on Saturday, as Real Salt Lake and FC Dallas played to a scoreless draw.
The result keeps FC Dallas atop the MLS Supporters' Shield standings. Meanwhile, RSL maintained a safe spot in the playoff positions in the Western Conference, although they have yet to officially clinch an Audi 2016 MLS Cup Playoffs berth.
The teams displayed plenty of energy from the opening whistle, with the action often end-to-end, but actual scoring chances were at a premium and the respective goalkeepers came up to stop those shots that did reach the target.
FC Dallas midfielder Mauro Diaz hit the post in the 8th minute, and each goalkeeper – Dallas' Chris Seitz and RSL's Nick Rimando – stopped a good chance, the first off a first-half free kick from RSL's Juan Manuel "Burrito" Martinez and the second off a diving header late in the first half from Dallas defender Walker Zimmerman.
Seitz made a timely partial save on a rocket from RSL sub Joao Plata in the 85th minute to keep the game scoreless.
- UTAH GOAL DROUGHT: This game extended a worrying trend for RSL, as they have now gone three consecutive games without a goal. Yura Movsisyan's recent injury certainly hasn't helped the team, but given the talent in the attack, it is a bit surprising to see RSL struggling so much on the attacking end, especially with the playoffs just over a month away.
- FIXTURE CONGESTION? FC Dallas have a trophy already this season, of course, having won the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup earlier this month. They're also on pace to win their CCL group, with another group stage game at home on Wednesday. Certainly, late season draws are not a bad thing on the road, but is the number of games starting to catch up with the Supporters' Shield leaders? Can they keep their focus and energy up for the final weeks of the season?
- GOALKEEPERS' DELIGHT: Seitz and Rimando were the big stars of the night, with each goalkeeper making at least one game-saving stop for his side. Sure, goals are fun, but there's also fun to be had watching two strong goalkeepers taking care of business.
- RSL: Saturday, October 1 at San Jose (10:30 pm ET; MLS LIVE)
- DAL: CCL: Wednesday, September 28 vs. Suchitepequez (8 pm ET, Facebook.com)