LA Galaxy 2, Seattle Sounders FC 4 | 2016 MLS Match Recap
Jordan Morris struck for a second-half brace to help lead the Seattle Sounders FC to a stunning 4-2 victory over the LA Galaxy Sunday afternoon at StubHub Center.
The win kept alive Seattle’s hopes of a berth in the Audi 2016 MLS Cup Playoffs and denied the Galaxy of booking their ticket.
Morris broke a one-all tie in the 63rd minute when he received a pass from Alvaro Fernandez at midfield and blew past Daniel Steres to run in alone on goal before clinically finishing to give Seattle a 2-1 lead in the 63rd minute.
Morris then netted his second goal 11 minutes later, taking a touch before burying the rebound of a saved Valdez shot with his left foot to give Seattle a 3-1 lead.
Keane opened the scoring on 20 minutes, latching onto a tremendous cross by Sebastian Lletget and heading over Seattle goalkeeper Stefan Frei from eight yards out for his ninth goal of the season and second in his last three appearances.
- LA: Galaxy squander opportunity to clinch berth in Audi 2016 MLS Cup Playoffs
- SEA: Morris heating up at perfect time for Sounders
- 20’ – LA – Robbie Keane (Sebastian Lletget, Giovani dos Santos)
- 35’ – SEA – Jelle Van Damme (OG)
- 63’ – SEA – Jordan Morris (Alvaro Fernandez)
- 74’ – SEA – Jordan Morris
- 78’ – SEA – Osvaldo Alonso (Nicolas Lodeiro)
- 85’ – LA – Robbie Keane (PK)
- Full box score
- Watch highlights
- PARTY LIKE ITS 2009: It's been that long since the Sounders left Carson, Calif. with a win, but that's just what they did Sunday afternoon. It was 11 consecutive trips in regular-season and playoff play without a win. That last win came on August 15, 2009, in the Sounders' expansion season, with Steve Zakuani and Fredy Montero scoring goals and Kasey Keller registering the clean sheet.
- RARE HOME LOSS: The LA Galaxy didn't just fail to punch their ticket into the Audi 2016 MLS Cup Playoffs, they also lost at StubHub Center for the first time this season. They were the last team in the league without a home defeat, ending a stretch of 15 consecutive games without a loss. The last regular season loss in Carson came on October 18, 2015, a 5-2 loss to the Portland Timbers.
- MORE HISTORY MADE: Jordan Morris struck twice in the second half and in the process broke the record for goals scored by an American rookie set by Pat Noonan of the New England Revolution in 2003. He now has 12 on the season. Morris is also now five goals shy of the record for rookie goals in a season, set by Cyle Larin of Orlando City SC a year ago.