Colorado Rapids 1, Houston Dynamo 1 | 2016 MLS Recap
The Colorado Rapids needed a win to determine to clinch the Supporters’ Shield on Decision Day. The Houston Dynamo put a stop to that.
Andrew Wenger’s goal in the 20th minute gave Houston an early lead in Dick's Sporting Goods Park, but the Rapids came back to tie the game in the second half on Sunday. Without the victory, the Rapids fell in the Shield chase, as FC Dallas prevailed and won the 2016 Supporters' Shield.
The Dynamo slowed the game down going into the second half. The match got heated with players on both sides, such as when Colorado's Marc Burch and Houston's Sheanon Williams got in a scuffle. Rapids’ forward Shkelzen Gashi scored in the 67th minute with an assist by Dominique Badji. Houston ran out of steam, but held off a Rapids winner, to end the game level in closing out the regular season.
- 20’ – HOU – Andrew Wenger
- 67’ – COL – Shkelzen Gashi (Marlon Hairston, Dominique Badji)
- Full box score
- Watch highlights
- WHAT’S AHEAD: Gashi's first goal at Dick's Sporting Goods Park this season saved the Rapids from a loss at home, but came short for the Supporters' Shield. Despite that, the Rapids end the season with 58 points, having already clinched a first-round bye heading in the Audi 2016 MLS Cup Playoffs, going from worst to nearly first in the span of a year.
- HOUSTON STREAKS: The Dynamo haven’t won at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park since 2008, a streak that was extended on Sunday. With this draw on the road, however, the Dynamo also extended their away unbeaten run to five. It wasn't a win like they hoped, but the Dynamo did end a disappointing season with a result.
- JONES RETURNS: Colorado's Jermaine Jones makes his first appearance since July 6. Suffering with a knee injury for the second half of the season, his return to the lineup will be important for the Rapids and should strike fear in Colorado's playoff opponent, as he's made the most of his limited time this season.