Seattle Sounders vs. FC Dallas | 2016 West Semifinal Match Preview
Seattle Sounders vs. FC Dallas
2016 Western Conference Semifinal – Leg 1
CenturyLink Field | Seattle, Washington
Sunday, Oct. 30
9:30 pm ET (FS1 in the US | TSN2 in Canada)
The Sounders, fresh off a late winner on Thursday night in the Knockout Round against Sporting KC, turn their attention to their second consecutive home playoff game, going up against top Western Conference seed FC Dallas in the first leg of the Western Conference Semifinal round. The Sounders will aim to get the better of their opponents, who bested them following a penalty shootout in the same round of the MLS Cup Playoffs last year.
But FC Dallas are riding high themselves, coming off the awarding of their second trophy of the year after clinching the Supporters' Shield on the final day of the season. On track for an as-yet-unprecedented treble, FC Dallas may be missing the services of playmaker Mauro Diaz, out injured with a torn Achilles, but they've got the belief they can keep going despite the adversity.
- Dallas vs. Sounders: Who has the edge?
- Sounders set for playoff rematch vs. familiar FCD
- Seattle Times: This might not be a vintage Sounders team, but road to MLS Cup wide open
- Pareja talks development, playing with "bad boys"
- Sounders face strikingly different FCD squad in first leg
- What's Zakuani's prediction for #SEAvDAL?
- Parchman: Three teams that could badly use MLS Cup
- Valdez shows experience with game-winning goal
- Pareja says an FC Dallas "treble is possible"
- Sounders' unlikely comeback gets another chapter
- Audi 2016 MLS Cup Playoffs bracket
Seattle Sounders Snapshot:
- 2016 Regular Season Finish: West No. 4 seed (14-14-6 record, 48 points, 10-5-2 home record)
- Current Form: W-L-D-W-W
- Strengths: Considerable experience throughout the roster, including in the MLS Cup Playoffs, and feature a few players who can break open games.
- Weaknesses: Ended the season in terrific form, but injuries and other ailments have been costly -- including the ongoing absence of Clint Dempsey with a heart issue; The Sounders have also been streaky in scoring and will aim to avoid a cold spell at the worst time.
- Injuries/Suspensions: Clint Dempsey (heart) -- out; Andreas Ivanschitz (knee) -- out; Dylan Remick (concussion) -- unknown
- Player to Watch: Jordan Morris. It may be asking too much to put the Sounders' hopes in the rookie's proverbial hands, but if the Sounders get by Dallas he will most likely have to play a significant role.
- Probable Starting XI: Stefan Frei; Tyrone Mears, Roman Torres, Chad Marshall, Joevin Jones; Osvaldo Alonso, Cristian Roldan; Brad Evans, Nicolas Lodeiro, Erik Friberg; Jordan Morris
FC Dallas Snapshot:
- 2016 Regular Season Finish: West No. 1 seed (17-8-9 record, 60 points, 5-7-5 away record)
- Current Form: D-W-W-D-D
- Strengths: Have won two titles already this year; Show resilience to come back at big moments if they are down; Rely on balanced contributions on both sides of the ball.
- Weaknesses: Do not have a healthy star player in attack capable of carrying the team for games at a time.
- Injuries/Suspensions: Zach Loyd (concussion) -- out; Mauro Diaz (Achilles) -- out; Kellyn Acosta (hip) -- questionable
- Player to Watch: Maxi Urruti. The striker may not be a superstar, but he's got experience of winning MLS Cup and he's been clutch for FC Dallas this year. If he scores, chances are FCD will be on their way to a result.
- Probable Starting XI: Chris Seitz; Atiba Harris, Walker Zimmerman, Matt Hedges, Maynor Figueroa; Michael Barrios, Kellyn Acosta, Carlos Gruezo, Ryan Hollingshead; Tesho Akindele, Maxi Urruti
Referee: Ricardo Salazar
Assistant Referees: Chris Strickland (AR1), Danny Thornberry (AR2)
4th Official: Fotis Bazakos
Seattle vs. Dallas Head-to-Head
All-Time (20 meetings):
Seattle 10 wins, 35 goals • Dallas 5 wins, 22 goals • Ties 5
All-Time Playoff Meetings:
Series Tied 1-1-2
All-Time in Seattle (11 meetings):
Seattle 7 wins, 23 goals • Dallas 3 wins, 7 goals • Ties 1
2016 Meetings (3 meetings):
DAL 2, SEA 0 (May 14); SEA 5, DAL 0 (July 13); DAL 2, SEA 1 (Oct. 16)