LA Galaxy 1, FC Dallas 2 | 2017 MLS Match Recap
Second-half goals from Maximiliano Urruti and Kellyn Acosta helped FC Dallas win their season opener against the LA Galaxy on Saturday afternoon, as the 2016 Supporters' Shield winners picked up a 2-1 victory at StubHub Center in Carson, California.
All the scoring in the match came in the second half. Urruti netted the opener two minutes after the break, but a controversial Giovani dos Santos penalty kick in the 53rd minute leveled the proceedings. Acosta made sure Curt Onalfo's Galaxy coaching debut would not be a memorable one, though, after firing home a strong shot in the 69th minute.
- 47' – DAL – Maximiliano Urruti Watch
- 53' – LA – Giovani dos Santos Watch
- 69' – DAL – Kellyn Acosta Watch
- ACOSTA THE MIDFIELDER: Much has been said about what position the versatile Kellyn Acosta fits best in during his young career, but a strong case is being made for midfield right now. Acosta scored an important goal for the second time in two weeks with Satuday's winner, and that strike combined with the gorgeous golazo from the first leg of the CONCACAF Champions League tilt against Arabe Unido are adding to the argument that he is better utilized in the center of the park than at outside back.
- LACKING PUNCH: The LA Galaxy were the better team in the possession department, winning 65.7 percent of that battle on the day. Much of it was possession without production, however, as the Galaxy could not muster up many quality chances. FC Dallas' defense did a solid job of bottling up Giovani dos Santos for the most part - his goal came on a questionable penalty kick call - and that forced other players to have get creative. They didn't, and the Galaxy suffered as a result.
- NEW FACES MAKE MLS DEBUTS: Several players on both sides were given their first matches in MLS, including new Galaxy DP Romain Alessandrini, FC Dallas winger Roland Lamah, and Galaxy midfielder Joao Pedro. Of the bunch, Alessandrini looked the sharpest despite fading a bit in the second half while Lamah delivered the game-winning assist.
- LA: Sunday, March 12 – vs. Portland Timbers (7 pm ET | FS1 in US, MLS LIVE in Canada)
- DAL: Saturday, March 11 – vs. Sporting Kansas City (MLS LIVE)