Columbus Crew SC 2, New York City FC 3 | 2017 MLS Match Recap
Jack Harrison scored a brace to help lift New York City FC to a 3-2 win over Columbus Crew SC Saturday night at MAPFRE Stadium.
Maxi Moralez threaded a perfect pass through the Crew SC defense to Harrison, who poked past Zach Steffen with his left foot to put the visitors in front, 1-0. It was the young winger’s third goal of the season.
NYCFC gift-wrapped Ola Kamara’s fifth goal of the season four minutes into the second half. In an attempt to possess out of the back, Alexander Callens played directly to Ethan Finlay, who sent a cross inside the box. Higuain cleverly let the ball roll between his legs and Kamara had the simplest of goals.
Yangel Herrera opened his MLS account with a headed equalizer in the 64th minute before setting up Harrison for his second as NYCFC capitalized on a Crew defensive blunder.
- 8’ – NYC – Jack Harrison Watch
- 29’ – CLB – Federico Higuain Watch
- 49’ – CLB – Ola Kamara Watch
- 64’ – NYC – Yangel Herrera Watch
- 76’ – NYC – Jack Harrison Watch
- NO PIRLO, NO VILLA, NO PROBLEM: With David Villa unavailable because of an illness and Andrea Pirlo unused on the substitute's bench, Sean Okoli made his first start as the lone forward and Yangel Herrera, who replaced Pirlo, scored his first MLS goal before setting up Jack Harrison's winner. Harrison, meanwhile, had his first multi-goal game of his career. NYCFC improved to 3-3 all-time without Villa in the lineup.
- FIRST THINGS FIRST: MAPFRE Stadium has not been kind to NYCFC before, but the club pulled out their first-ever win in Columbus, and did so in come-from-behind fashion.
- NEW YORK, NEW YORK: It has been rough sledding for Crew SC in back-to-back meetings against New York-based sides. Columbus dropped both matches, losing 2-0 at Red Bull Arena last weekend and 3-2 at home to NYCFC.
- CLB: Saturday, May 6 – vs. New England Revolution (7:30 pm ET | MLS LIVE)
- NYC: Sunday, May 7 – vs. Atlanta United (4 pm ET | Univision, MLS LIVE)