Seattle Sounders 0, Toronto FC 1 | 2017 MLS Match Recap
In a rematch of the 2016 MLS Cup, Toronto came to Seattle shorthanded after playing midweek against Orlando City SC. Sebastian Giovinco, Victor Vazquez, Eriq Zavaleta and Steven Beitashour were all left in Toronto after their 2-1 win on Wednesday. But that did not stop Toronto, as Jozy Altidore's penalty-kick goal in the 23rd minute was enough to lift the visitors.
- 23' - TOR - Jozy Altidore (PK) Watch
- JOZY GETS FREI BACK: Altidore saw one of his shots denied in spectacular fashion by Stefan Frei, something that is probably getting old for the US national team striker, but was able to get the game-winning goal via a penalty kick. Altidore now has a goal or an assist in six of his nine games this season.
- SCHMETZER FINALLY LOSES AT HOME: There’s little doubt that CenturyLink Field is one of the most intimidating venues in MLS, but the Sounders have gotten off to a rocky start at home. After winning their first home contest of 2017 against the New York Red Bulls, they failed to score against Atlanta United FC, were forced to come from 3-0 down to get a draw against the New England Revolution and have now lost to an undermanned TFC side. Saturday’s loss was the first at CenturyLink for the Sounders under Brian Schmetzer, who took over last summer.
- SHORTHANDED? NO PROBLEM: Toronto FC head coach Greg Vanney decided not to prioritize an interconference matchup in a month where his team will play eight games, but his team did not falter. Toronto have now won four straight and sit atop the Eastern Conference after winning just one of their first six games.
- SEA: Saturday, May 13 - at Chicago (9 pm ET | ESPN2, ESPN Deportes in US, MLS LIVE in Canada)
- TOR: Wednesday, May 10 - at Columbus (7:30 pm ET | TSN4,5 in Canada, MLS LIVE in US)