Minnesota United FC 1, LA Galaxy 2 | 2017 MLS Match Recap
Christian Ramirez scored an own goal for the second straight week, but this one proved to be more costly.
Ramirez accidentally pushed home a late set piece on Sunday, and it gave the LA Galaxy a 2-1 road win over his Minnesota United side at TCF Bank Stadium. Ramirez's 84th-minute own goal came 18 minutes after he had brought Minnesota level, and the blunder prevented the expansion side from getting at least a share of the spoils.
Giovani dos Santos scored the opener for LA in the Western Conference showdown, finding the back of the net in the 38th minute with a classy flicked lob that nestled into the net.
- 38' – LA – Giovani dos Santos Watch
- 66' – MIN – Christian Ramirez Watch
- 84' – LA – Christian Ramirez (Own Goal) Watch
- NOT AGAIN: Christian Ramirez put a ball into the back of his own net last week against Toronto FC, but Minnesota United were able to find a response before giving up a late winner. This time, however, the own goal was decisive. Ramirez misplayed a set piece from Romain Alessandrini and the ball hit off of the Minnesota attacker before rolling over the goal line. It may simply be bad luck that Ramirez has scored own goals in consecutive games, but it may also be him lacking concentration while defending. Either way, Minnesota United need this streak to end here.
- GOALKEEPERS STAND UP: While there were good moments of attacking soccer and some nice combination play, netminders Bobby Shuttleworth (Minnesota) and Brian Rowe (LA) were among the more impressive performers on the day. The two goalkeepers made a string of stunning saves, and kept the match from being a high-scoring affair. Both Shuttleworth and Rowe finished with four stops apiece, and at least a few of those will likely make their career highlight reels.
- CLASSY TOUCH: Giovani dos Santos knows how to score beauties, and he reminded us of that with his first-half finish. In the 38th minute, dos Santos got on the end of an Alessandrini cross and pulled off a gorgeous, one-timed flick that floated over a helpless Shuttleworth and gave LA a lead on the road. All goals might count the same, but this one gets 10 style points.