Toronto FC 5, Columbus Crew SC 0 | 2017 MLS Match Recap
TFC jumped out to the early lead after forward Tosaint Ricketts was taken down by Crew SC defender Jonathan Mensah for a penalty kick. Midfielder Victor Vazquez stepped up and converted. The Reds doubled the lead before the half when Justin Morrow ripped a shot from the left side past goalkeeper Zack Steffen at the near post. Vazquez scored his second after the break with a well-placed free kick under the wall from the edge of the box. Jonathan Osorio and Jordan Hamliton each scored their first goals of the year late to complete the rout.
- 6' - TOR - Victor Vazquez (PK) WATCH
- 39' - TOR - Justin Morrow WATCH
- 59' - TOR - Victor Vazquez WATCH
- 86' - TOR - Jonathan Osorio WATCH
- 90+3' - TOR - Jordan Hamilton WATCH
- WHO WAS MISSING? As impressive as Toronto FC has been this season, tonight's performance may open even more eyes. Toronto scored five goals without leading scorers Sebastian Giovinco (injured) or Jozy Altidore (suspended) even playing. They are getting goals from all sides: Vazquez and Morrow became the third and fourth players with three or more goals so far, and Osorio and Hamilton became the eighth and ninth players to score. And, in his MLS debut, forward Ben Spencer showed well and set up the team's second goal.
- COLUMBUS CONFUSION: We'll leave this one to MLSsoccer.com contributor Andrew King: Artur to enter the match, though the substitution - for Justin Meram - occurred right after TFC had made it 2-0.
- TRILLIUM CUP IS RED: With the win, Toronto won the season series with Columbus and claimed the Trillium Cup for the second straight year. Columbus handed Toronto their only loss of the season back on April 15, and TFC won the second meeting by the same 2-1 scoreline earlier in May. Dating back to 2008, this marks the fourth time Toronto has won the trophy that was created to recognize the rivalry between the two sides.