San Jose Earthquakes 2, LA Galaxy 4 | 2017 MLS Match Recap
A brace by Giovani dos Santos lifted the LA Galaxy to a 4-2 win over the San Jose Earthquakes in the 63rd all-time Cali Clasico at Avaya Stadium Saturday night
The Mexican international, who also scored from the penalty spot in the first half, put the finishing touches on the win when he latched onto a sublime ball by Romain Alessandrini and slid in to head past David Bingham in the 64th minute.
There were plenty of fireworks in a five-goal first-half that saw the visitors go into the break with a 3-2 lead.
Chris Wondolowski got the scoring started with a first-time volley from a Danny Hoesen cross in the 10th minute. Joao Pedro leveled nine minutes later, before dos Santos put the Galaxy in front, 2-1. Hoesen opened his account for the Quakes two minutes after that, and Victor Bernardez was unlucky to see a Bradley Diallo cross deflect off his head and into his own net one minute before halftime.
- 10’ – SJ – Chris Wondolowski Watch
- 19’ – LA – Joao Pedro Watch
- 35’ – LA – Giovani dos Santos (PK) Watch
- 37’ – SJ – Danny Hoesen Watch
- 44’ – LA – Victor Bernardez (OG) Watch
- 64' -- LA - Giovani dos Santos Watch
- ROAD WARRIORS: By winning their first game at Avaya Stadium, the LA Galaxy picked up their fourth win away from home, matching their total from the entire 2016 season. That wasn't the only impressive mark.
- RED HOT GIO: Giovani dos Santos is hitting his form, which is good news for fans of the LA Galaxy and El Tri as well. By netting a brace, the Mexican international stretched his goal-scoring streak to four games. He now has six goals on the season and five in the last four matches.
- TOP OF THE CHARTS: When Chris Wondolowski opened the scoring in the 10th minute, it was his eighth Cali Clasico goal. That puts him atop the goal-scoring lead with Landon Donovan and Robbie Keane.