TIFO: Sounders fans honor Brian Schmetzer before the game
The Emerald City Supporters unfurled a giant, two-piece tifo display before the Seattle Sounders faced the Portland Timbers in Saturday’s Cascaida Cup clash, honoring head coach Brian Schmetzer’s past and present with the club.
Emblazoned with the words “The Rightful King Reclaims The Throne,” the banner depicted Schmetzer alongside the 2016 MLS Cup, which Seattle won after he took the reins (at first on an interim basis) from Sigi Schmid last July then led the Sounders to their first league championship.
- GOAL: Cristian Roldan heads in the opener from the corner0:28
- SAVE: Jake Gleeson tips away Nicolas Lodeiro's shot0:28
- SAVE: Stefan Frei pushes aside Sebastian Blanco's shot from distance0:30
- CHANCE: Liam Ridgewell misses with a free header in front0:30
- PK SHOUT: A ball ricochets off the hand of Chad Marshall0:30
- CHANCE: Chad Marshall stabs a bouncer high and wide0:30
- CHANCE: Ridgewell and Gleeson stymie Jordan Morris' dart forward0:25
- CHANCE: Fanendo Adi nearly puts a cross past Stefan Frei0:21
- SAVE: Jake Gleeson slides out to stop Jordan Morris0:20