DC United 0, LA Galaxy 0 | 2017 MLS Match Recap
D.C. United and the LA Galaxy swapped haymakers at RFK Stadium on Saturday night, uncorking 34 total shots (12 of them on target), but neither side could find the knockout blow as they settled for a 0-0 draw.
The result extends LA's unbeaten run to six games, while United are now winless in their last four home games, failing to score a goal in any of them. D.C. have not scored a goal in open play (they beat Vancouver 1-0 last week via a penalty kick) since Sebastien Le Toux's goal vs. Atlanta on April 30, a span of more than 500 minutes.
The game was very likely the last of these two founding MLS clubs' many meetings at RFK Stadium, dating back to the league's inaugural season in 1996.
- FUN FOR A 0-0: Many consider it the most dreaded scoreline in sports, but this scoreless deadlock was more entertaining than most. Both sides got numbers forward with regularity as play flowed from end to end on a pleasant night in the nation's capital. But it's another sobering result for D.C., who are now 2-4-2 at home this year and have been shut out in six of those games, leaving them second from bottom in the Eastern Conference standings.
- GALAXIAN TRAVELERS: The draw continues an impressive trend of road heroics for LA, who have a losing record at StubHub Center but are now 4-2-1 away from home, making them one of only two MLS sides with a winning road record.
FT - #LAGalaxy get a scoreless draw with DCU to take 10 points from the four-game road trip. Huge swing— Adam Serrano (@LAGalaxyInsider) June 4, 2017
- BOBBY AND STEVE: United had to do without both of their steady center backs Bobby Boswell (groin) and Steve Birnbaum (knee) due to injuries, a real rarity over the past few seasons. Stand-ins Kofi Opare and Jalen Robinson managed the threat posed by Giovani dos Santos and Gyasi Zardes fairly well, however.
3rd time since start of 2015 season (spanning 82 league matches) that neither Birnbaum nor Boswell is starting for D.C. United #DCvLA— Steven Goff (@SoccerInsider) June 3, 2017
- DC: U.S. Open Cup: Tuesday, June 13 – vs. Christos FC (7:30 pm ET )
- LA: U.S. Open Cup: Wednesday, June 14 – vs. Orange County SC (10:30 pm ET)