LA Galaxy 2, Houston Dynamo 2 | 2017 MLS Match Recap
The Houston Dynamo were mere moments away from their first road win of 2017 on Saturday night, but it was not to be.
A contentious injury-time goal by Romain Alessandrini snatched a last-gasp 2-2 draw for the LA Galaxy at StubHub Center, saving the Californians from what would've been their fourth home loss of the season. Replays suggested that the Frenchman had strayed offside on the play, but after conferring, referee Hilario Grajeda and his officiating crew let the tally stand.
After Ema Boateng equalized for LA, Alberth Elis lifted a delightful finish over Clement Diop in the 74th minute. But in the dying moments of a lengthy stoppage-time period, the impressive Alessandrini came up big for the Galaxy once again.
- Shorthanded LA Galaxy "continue to grow" with dramatic draw vs. Houston
- Cabrera blames Dynamo, not refs, after contentious draw in LA: "It's on us"
- 22' – HOU – Mauro Manotas Watch
- 35' – LA – Emmanuel Boateng Watch
- 74' – HOU – Alberth Elis Watch
- 90+4' – LA – Romain Alessandrini Watch
- CLOSE, BUT NO CIGAR: Few road draws have ever felt as much like a loss as this one for Houston, who were 0-6-1 away from home coming into this game and hadn't even scored from the run of play since their first road game, at Portland way back on March 18. The Orange missed a hatful of opportunities to seal the deal and run the score to 3-1, leaving the door open for Alessandrini's efforts.
Dynamo score a goal in the run of play on the road, snapping a streak of 13 consecutive halves without one. https://t.co/v0nZjfxGKR— Corey Roepken (@RipSports) June 18, 2017
- STRANGERS IN THEIR OWN HOUSE: In a league where home-field advantage is a statistically dominant factor, the Galaxy are upending conventional wisdom. LA are a mere 1-3-3 at home, a marked drop from their traditional StubHub dominance under former coach Bruce Arena, but 4-2-1 on the road. While Saturday's result was cathartic, coach Curt Onalfo is surely keen to stop dropping points on familiar soil.
- ROMAIN MAN: Where woud the Galaxy be without Alessandrini? The winger has had a hand in nearly all of LA's goals to date. This weekend's timely, much-debated strike is his seventh of the season, and he also notched his seventh assist of the campaign on Boateng's finish.
- LA: Wednesday, June 21 – at Colorado (9 pm ET | MLS LIVE)
- HOU: Friday, June 23 – vs. Dallas (9 pm ET | UniMás, facebook.com in US, MLS LIVE in Canada)