Orlando City SC 1, Toronto FC 3 | 2017 MLS Match Recap
TFC took a 1-0 lead in the 18th minute on Altidore’s eighth goal of the season. Giovinco received the ball from Marky Delgado and curled toward goal before playing to his left where Altidore took a touch and buried a shot under Joe Bendik from 16 yards out.
Altidore then played provider just seconds into the second half when he was played behind the Orlando City defense by Victor Vazquez. The United States international peeked over his shoulder and slid the ball to Giovinco, who chipped in his eighth goal of the year.
Carlos Rivas came off the substitute’s bench to pull the hosts within a goal in the 63rd minute, but Giovinco struck for a sensational free kick from 30 yards out to put TFC ahead, 3-1, just two minutes later. It was the ninth direct free kick goal of his MLS career.
- 18’ – TOR – Jozy Altidore WATCH
- 46’ – TOR – Sebastian Giovinco WATCH
- 63’ – ORL – Carlos Rivas WATCH
- 65’ – TOR – Sebastian Giovinco WATCH
- EIGHT IS ENOUGH?: Sebastian Giovinco entered the game with six goals in six games against Orlando City, which was tied for most a player has scored against the club. Add two more to that ridiculous total as the Italian struck twice in the second half to secure a big road win for TFC ahead of the Gold Cup break.
- SIX PACK FOR JOZY: When Jozy Altidore gave Toronto FC the lead in the 18th minute, it was his sixth goal in six appearances against Orlando City SC. Four of those goals have come in Orlando.
- BAD START, NO WINS: What’s the key for Orlando City to win? Score the first goal. When they don’t, the Lions are now 0-7-2.