Colorado Rapids 2, Vancouver Whitecaps 2 | 2017 MLS Match Recap
The visitors got on the board early when Tony Tchani placed a shot through traffic and off the right post less than five minutes into the game. Colorado answered ten minutes later when centerback Axel Sjoberg got on the end of second-phase ball and calmly volleyed a shot past David Ousted.
The Rapids then went ahead through Kevin Doyle, who won a ball on his own half and was on the receiving end of a Marlon Hairston backheel in the box to put away his fifth goal of the year. However the lead would last just 20 minutes, as Vancouver's Fredy Montero found himself unmarked in the box to flick in a header off Cristian Techera's free kick past Tim Howard for the tying goal.
- 5' – VAN – Tony Tchani Watch
- 15' – COL – Axel Sjoberg Watch
- 54' – COL – Kevin Doyle Watch
- 76' – VAN – Fredy Montero Watch
- TCHANI MACHINE: Tony Tchani is not known as a scoring threat, but teams may have to reconsider how they mark him. His goal tonight was his third goal of the year, all coming in his last seven games.
- KEEPING PACE: Following wins at LA and Dallas, Vancouver tonight earned their third straight road result, allowing them to stay in the mix for one of the six playoffs spots in the West. And they're starting to see another mini-run from Montero, who has now scored four goals in his last five games to give him nine on the year.
- LONG ROAD AHEAD: Colorado went unbeaten at home last year, but have only won six of their 12 home games this year, and only one of their last four. But they're battling, evident by their season-high 25 fouls committed tonight. Sitting last in the West and with only five home games remaining, they'll need to find some magic as visitors, with five of their next six games on the road -- where they're 0-8-1 so far this season.