Vancouver Whitecaps 2, Houston Dynamo 1 | 2017 MLS Match Recap
Yordy Reyna provided the game-winner as well as the evening's inspiration for the home side, as the Peruvian attacker worked relentlessly to harry Houston's defense. Meanwhile, Whitecaps star Fredy Montero served up the assist on Reyna's strike after bagging one of his own from the penalty spot.
The Dynamo, who left several starters at home to rest amid a hectic stretch of their schedule, found themselves down 2-0 at halftime. But the Texans mounted a furious comeback after Romell Quioto scored his first goal in several months, falling just short of an equalizer on several occasions in the final stages.
- PERUVIAN POWER: This game had a riveting ebb and flow to it as the two sides traded wave after wave of attacks, yet Reyna was the difference-maker in the end. The Whitecaps are finally looking like a postseason contender now that their diminutive Peru international is healthy and finding his rhythm; they're 4-2-1 in their last seven games and he's scored twice in three starts during that span.
- CONGESTION LEADS TO DEJECTION: As the Houston Chronicle's Corey Roepken noted pregame, Dynamo coach Wilmer Cabrera left three of his regulars back in Texas as the Orange entered a busy week. It didn't quite come off, as Houston competed gamely but couldn't climb out of the hole they made for themselves with a mediocre first-half performance.
Erick Torres, Vicente Sanchez and Ricardo Clark did not travel due to planned squad rotation. Dynamo have three games in eight days. https://t.co/UCOmOSCBFI— Corey Roepken (@RipSports) August 20, 2017
- RIVALS AWAIT: Both these sides will now pivot towards what promise to be heated, high-stakes clashes with regional adversaries. Houston visit FC Dallas for a Texas Derby on Wednesday, an opening feature in the latest Heineken Rivalry Week, while Vancouver host the Seattle Sounders the same night. With all four sides chasing postseason dreams, both occasions are truly six-pointers and could set the tone for their season's home stretches.
- VAN: Wednesday, Aug. 23 – vs. Seattle (10 pm ET | TSN1/3/4/5 in Canada, MLS LIVE in US)
- HOU: Wednesday, Aug. 23 – at Dallas (8 pm ET | UniMás in US, MLS LIVE in Canada)