Columbus Crew SC 2, LA Galaxy 0 | 2017 MLS Match Recap
Ola Kamara scored his 13th goal of the season in the waning moments of a wild opening 45 minutes that saw three Video Reviews and Justin Meram added a late insurance goal as Columbus Crew SC defeated the LA Galaxy 2-0 Wednesday night at MAPFRE Stadium.
Kamara latched onto a ball slipped through by Pedro Santos, who picked up his first career assist in his first Crew SC start.
On the second review, Columbus was awarded a penalty kick when it was deemed Jonathan dos Santos fouled Pedro Santos inside the box. LA goalkeeper Jon Kempin dived to his left to save Federico Higuain’s penalty kick.
The Galaxy were reduced to 10 men in the 18th minute when Ashley Cole was sent off on a straight red card for a foul on Santos. Referee Sorin Stoica upheld the red card following Video Review.
Kamara had a chance to put the game away from the penalty spot in the 79th minute, but Kempin made a spectacular diving save to his left. Meram closed out the game in the 90th minute with his 11th goal of the season.
- LA Galaxy's Jon Kempin fifth goalkeeper to save multiple PKs in a game
- Pedro Santos influential in first MLS start
- MERAM LOVES MAPFRE: When Justin Meram scored in the 90th minute to seal an important Crew SC victory, it was 11th goal of the season. Eight of those goals have come at MAPFRE Stadium. The other three? All in a 3-2 win over the Montreal Impact at Stade Saputo on May 13.
- UNHAPPY RETURN: Sigi Schmid’s return to Columbus, where he led the Crew SC to its lone MLS Cup title, was an empty one for the LA Galaxy coach who saw his team extend their winless streak to a season-long nine games.
- KEMPIN KEPT LA ALIVE: LA Galaxy goalkeeper Jon Kempin had the unenviable task of facing not one, but two penalty kicks and he came up with a pair of saves that gave the Galaxy a chance for the first win in two months. Kempin became the fifth goalkeeper in MLS history to save two penalty kicks in one game, joining DJ Countess, Tony Meola, David Ousted and Bobby Shuttleworth.