The Vancouver Whitecaps significantly bolstered their MLS playoff hopes with a gritty 2-1 road win against Orlando City SC on Saturday night.
Whitecaps’ midfielder Brek Shea nabbed the game-winning goal in the second half with a skillful chip against his former team.
Orlando City striker Cyle Larin did not start the match but came on at halftime and pulled one back for the Lions.
- SHEA, OKAY: Brek Shea has got to be feeling satisfied with his Saturday evening at the office. The American scored the game-winning goal against the team that traded him earlier this year in their own building. Shea utilized a Vancouver counter to calmly and accurately chip home the visiting team’s second goal of the evening in his return to Orlando.
- SUPER-SUB LARIN: Orlando City superstar Cyle Larin was not in Jason Kreis’ starting lineup on Saturday evening. That didn’t stop the Canadian from making an impact, though. Larin was inserted at halftime and quickly put his stamp on the match. Larin combined well with partner Dom Dwyer throughout his 45 minute shift, scored an impressive headed-goal and almost nearly grabbed the game-tying tally on on a few occasions.
- DAVIES CONTINUES TO WOW: With Orlando chasing what was ultimately a must-win scenario for the Lions, Saturday’s tilt against Vancouver opened-up in a major way in the latter stages of the second half. The stretched out and end-to-end action served the young sensation, Alphonso Davies, quite favorably. The 16-year-old skipped past numerous defenders on the counter a few different times on Saturday evening. Simply stated, this young man was an absolute terror for the Orlando City defense on the dribble.
- ORL: Saturday, September 2 – at New England Revolution FC (7 pm ET | MLS LIVE)
- VAN: Saturday, September 9 – vs. Real Salt Lake (4 pm ET | TSN; MLS LIVE in US)