Montreal Impact 1, Toronto FC 3 | 2017 MLS Match Recap
Sebastian Giovinco hit his fourth brace of the 2017 season and boosted his career league-record total to 12 direct free kick goals as Toronto FC completed a comfortable 3-1 derby victory over the Montreal Impact on Sunday afternoon.
Giovinco now has 15 goals for the season, and has five goals and four assists during seven league appearances in the 401 Derby.
Ignacio Piatti's 15th goal could not keep Montreal from seeing their four-match winning streak snapped. The Impact could have moved above the Eastern Conference playoff line with a win, but instead remain behind Atlanta United on goal difference.
- 41’ – TOR – Sebastian Giovinco Watch
- 52’ – TOR – Jozy Altidore Watch
- 90'+2' – MTL – Ignacio Piatti Watch
- 90'+3' – TOR – Sebastian Giovinco Watch
- NO LOVE LOST: Despite growing up on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean, Giovinco’s goal celebrations made it clear how much he cares about a fixture that has is rife with political and social overtones unique to Eastern Canada. After his first goal, he mocked Impact fans by wiping mock tears from his cheeks. After his second, he merely blew kissess to the mostly blue-clad crowd of 20,801 at Stade Saputo.
- IT’S GETTING HOT IN HERE: Giovinco may have emerged the victor, but both he and Piatti had fitting performances given their respective incredible form. Giovinco has scored six goals and contributed two assists in the past six games. Three of those goals have come from direct free kicks. If it’s possible, Piatti has been even better in terms of measurable production, scoring seven goals and adding an assist in Montreal’s last five matches.
- WE HAVE TO DO THIS AGAIN?: Montreal remains well within the playoff picture with nine matches to go. But they have a challenge that no other Eastern Conference side faces in the remainder of the season, with two remaining matches against Toronto on the schedule. Both of them are at BMO Field, where the Reds are 10-0-3 in league play. The New York Red Bulls are the only other East team to visit Toronto down the stretch.
They Said It
"Just do not foul Toronto inside 50 yards. Because Giovinco is going to do this. You can put five, six, seven, put 20 guys in the wall. It doesn’t matter. The technique and the ability to get it up over the wall with pace, pick it out of the net, Evan Bush. Greg Vanney has the best player player in Major League Soccer history on his team." -- ESPN broadcaster Taylor Twellman after Giovinco's free kick strike to open the scoring.