LA Galaxy 3, Minnesota United FC 0 | 2017 MLS Match Recap
Romain Alessandrini was a handful for Minnesota with a brace and an assist on the day. He started off by putting the Galaxy ahead right out of the gate when he and Giovani dos Santos took advantage of a quick restart. Alessandrini dribbled into the penalty area and sent a low shot rolling past Bobby Shuttleworth that nestled just inside the far post.
Video Review was needed to award the Galaxy their second goal, a Jonathan dos Santos header that bounced off the underside of the crossbar and over the line. Play was allowed to continue after the ball bounced straight up and hit the crossbar again, but eventually referee Alex Chilowicz called for the review. The goal was Jonathan's first with the Galaxy, with Alessandrini picking up an assist on the cross.
- 11' - LA - Romain Alessandrini Watch
- 22' - LA - Jonathan dos Santos Watch
- 90+3' - LA - Romain Alessandrini Watch
- DOING THE DOUBLE: With two goals and an assist on Sunday, Alessandrini increased his season lead in both categories for the club. The odds-on club MVP now has 13 goals and 11 assists, and is the only player on the club to have double digit totals in either of those categories.
- BAGGIO'S BACK: After almost five months of rehab, Galaxy midfielder Baggio Husidic returned to competitive action with a 14-minute sub appearance against the team LA were playing when he went down with the injury on May 21. While mostly on the pitch to get his feet wet again, Husidic did have a shot from inside the penalty area and a recovery deep in the Galaxy half.
- STATISTICALLY RELEVANT: It won’t soothe the sting of the loss, but on the evening the Loons were stastically on par with LA in every category except for goals. While it’s common for a trailing team to lead in possession, Minnesota were also the better passes and had four shots on target. Unfortunately when they took their chances they tended to blast them right at Galaxy goalkeeper Clement Diop.