Houston Dynamo 3, Chicago Fire 0 | 2017 MLS Match Recap
The Houston Dynamo got on the scoreboard quickly, and kept the Chicago Fire off it entirely, to cruise to a 3-0 victory on Sunday afternoon, ensuring a home playoff date at BBVA Compass Stadium later this week.
In the second half, Romell Quioto added a 68th-minute goal—in his final action of the afternoon—to double the Dynamo's lead. Seven minutes later, Mauro Manotas ran in front of an Andrew Wenger cross to close out the scoring.
- NIKOLIC WINS GOLDEN BOOT: Despite not getting a goal today, Fire striker Nemanja Nikolic won the 2017 MLS Golden Boot trophy for his 24 this season, two more than closest competitor David Villa. Nikolic did have two late chances to hit the 25-goal mark, including an 86th-minute shot that somehow caromed off the crossbar and post without crossing the line.
- PROPS TO THE PROPS DEPARTMENT: Just three weeks after Alberth Elis celebrated a goal at BBVA Compass Stadium by donning a panther mask, Manotas celebrated his goal by sporting a Colombian-style sombrero in a nod to his home country. It was his 10th of the season, making him the third Dynamo player to reach the double-digit threshold this season.
- DELAGARZA GOES DOWN: Though Houston has plenty to feel good about following the win, there's concern over defender Alex DeLaGarza's health for the playoffs. He went down untouched with an apparent left knee injury in the 8th minute, replaced by Jalil Anibaba when it was clear he couldn't continue.
- Houston Dynamo: Thursday, October 26 vs. SKC - Western Conference Knockout Round (9:30pm ET | UniMás; TSN, TVAS)
- Chicago Fire: Wednesday, October 25 vs. RBNY - Eastern Conference Knockout Round (8:30pm ET | FS1, UniMás; TSN, TVAS)