Portland Timbers 2, Vancouver Whitecaps 1 | 2017 MLS Match Recap
It was all on the line for the Portland Timbers and the Vancouver Whitecaps heading into Decision Day presented by AT&T. If either team won, they would clinch the Western Conference title, and it was the Timbers who seized the moment with a come-from-behind 2-1 win to clinch the No. 1 seed in the West.
Kendall Waston opened the scoring in the 29th minute by leaping up and heading in a Yordy Reyna free kick. The Whitecaps' road lead wouldn't last too long, however. About two minutes later, Liam Ridgewell equalized by following up on a blocked Darlington Nagbe shot. After halftime, the Timbers wasted little time pulling ahead as Darren Mattocks got onto the end of a Vytas pass for an easy tap-in.
With the result, the Timbers have earned a bye through the first round of the Audi 2017 MLS Cup Playoffs as the No. 1 seed while the Vancouver Whitecaps dropped down to third in the conference.
- THE FINAL PLAYOFF PICTURE: For the Timbers, the win at Providence Park on Decision Day was huge as it secured a Knockout Round bye and ensures they will rest to start the postseason. Meanwhile, for the Whitecaps, the loss knocked them down to third place and they are forced to enter the postseason in a first round, one-off Knockout Round match against the San Jose Earthquakes.
- THE CASCADIA CUP CHAMP IS HERE: For the first time since 2012, the Portland Timbers have won the Cascadia Cup, edging out the Whitecaps and the Seattle Sounders, who finished second overall in the Western Conference.
- THE FORMER WHITECAP STRIKES BACK: The final result came down to the man who has scored for both teams in Sunday's match: Darren Mattocks. The former Whitecap has seen his minutes increase in Portland this season after Fanendo Adi went out on Aug. 6 with a hamstring injury and hasn't been back since. Mattocks was a thorn in the Whitecaps side, finishing Sunday with three shots and the game-winning goal.
- POR: TBD; Western Conference Semifinals Leg 1 (winner of HOU-SKC on Thu. October 26)
- VAN: Wednesday, October 25 vs. Sporting Kansas City - Western Conference Knockout Round (10:30pm ET | UniMás; TSN, TVAS)