Houston Dynamo 1, Sporting Kansas City 0 | MLS Cup Playoffs Recap
Elis took a centering pass from Vicente Sanchez, tapped twice to set up a third-time-charmer and send Houston to the Western Conference Semifinals, where they'll take on the top-seeded Portland Timbers.
- Reaction: Wilmer on 'Cente: "That's why I brought him"
- Commentary: Drawing from 'Stros, Dynamo double Houston's fun
- Playoff Central: Breaking down La Pantera's game-winner (Video)
- 94' – HOU – Alberth Elis Watch
- CHENTE MAGIC: Ageless wonder Vicente Sanchez, whose season was previously most notable for a four-assists-in-three-games week from Sept. 23 to 30, subbed on in the 87th minute and created the game's lone goal with an impressive individual effort. Playing wide to the right, he avoided a sliding Jimmy Medrandra while keeping his dribble at the touchline to put a centering through ball at the feet of Elis, who found space and time enough for three touches before slamming home the winner.
- ROCKY REGULATION: For most of the match, both teams' best chances ended in direct-line saves, wide of the net or wiped out as hypotheticals by fouls just outside the box. The best chance came when Roger Espinoza sprung Latif Blessing on the left wing in the 39th minute, though Tyler Deric successfully closed out to smother the threat – minutes after Diego Rubio chested an Espinoza cross too far forward to control. A chippy first half fittingly ended with Graham Zusi picking up a yellow card for a post-whistle kick that sent the ball into the head of Philippe Senderos, with both teams quickly gathering to ah, discuss their thoughts on the matter.
- A ONE-SIDED RIVALRY: Wednesday's win at BBVA Compass Stadium marked the latest in a recurrent, if lopsided, battle. The squads were lining up in opposition for the third time in two weeks and fifth time in the MLS postseason. Houston took four points from that recent home-and-home series, and have now taken four of the playoff matchups.
- HOU: Tuesday, Oct. 30 vs. Portland - Western Conference Semifinals (9:30pm ET | FS1, TSN Go, TVAS)
- SKC: End of season