Seattle Sounders FC 0, Los Angeles Football Club 1 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
Moments after his cross was headed off the inside of the post by Latif Blessing, Diego Rossi scored the first goal in LAFC history in the 11th minute. Carlos Vela slipped a pass to Rossi and the Uruguayan clinically finished first time from 24 yards out to put the expansion side in front, 1-0.
It was the fastest goal scored by an expansion side, 33 seconds quicker than Fredy Montero’s strike in the Sounders inaugural match, a 3-0 win over the New York Red Bulls on March 19, 2009.
Two minutes later, Nouhou Tolo nearly leveled for Seattle when he lashed a first-time volley on frame, but former Sounders SC goalkeeper Tyler Miller dived to his left to parry away the attempt. Will Bruin thought he headed in the equalizer in the 65th minute, but the goal was called back for offsides. It came just after Handwalla Bwana put a deflected shot off the crossbar.
- Instant Analysis: Miller, Vela, Rossi lead LAFC to first victory
- How Diego Rossi created LAFC's first goal
- LAFC not satisfied with performance despite notching banner win
- 11’ — LAFC — Diego Rossi | WATCH
- The Big Picture: Another opening weekend shocker. Yes, there were seven changes to the Sounders FC starting XI ahead of a CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinal clash against Chivas Wednesday night, but they are still the standard-bearers few pundits gave LAFC a chance in this one.
- Moment of the Match: Diego Rossi’s name will forever be etched in the LAFC record books as the player to score the first goal in club history. The Uruguayan received a clever ball from fellow Designated Player Carlos Vela and placed his shot from 24 yards out over Stefan Frei’s left shoulder.
- Man of the Match: Against his former club, Tyler Miller’s return to CenturyLink Field was a memorable one. The LAFC goalkeeper made game-changing saves in each half, parrying a Nouhou Tolo full volley away early and swatting Cristian Roldan’s header with his left hand late.
- SEA: CONCACAF Champions League - Wednesday, March 7 — vs. Chivas de Guadalajara (10 pm ET | UDN, UnivisionDeportes.com; go90.com)
- LAFC: Saturday, March 10 — at Real Salt Lake (3:30 pm ET | Univision, MLS LIVE in Canada)