Vancouver Whitecaps 2, Montreal Impact 1 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
Newcomer Kei Kamara bagged his first strike with his new club and Homegrown phenom Alphonso Davies racked up a goal and an assist as the Vancouver Whitecaps edged the Montreal Impact 2-1 at BC Place in a cross-Canadian clash on opening day of the 2018 MLS season.
Featuring a range of new faces in their starting XIs, the two sides were evenly matched in a scoreless first half. Then the home side sparked to life with two goals in eight minutes shortly after the passage of the hour mark.
First Davies served in an inviting near-post service from the left wing for Kamara to finish with a snapped header off the woodwork, and then it was Davies' turn, as the teenager bagged his first goal in MLS play by bundling home a low cross from Cristian Techera.
- 63' - VAN - Kei Kamara | WATCH
- 70' - VAN - Alphonso Davies | WATCH
- 81' - MTL - Matteo Mancosu | WATCH
- The Big Picture: It's a work in progress for the rebuilt Impact, who will take away positives from this game, but a full three points for a Whitecaps side that flashed signs of significant talent upgrades in multiple positions.
- Moment of the Match: Montreal looked on course for a decent road result when Davies made the most of a pocket of space along the left touchline, finding Kamara's deadly forehead for the opener.
- Man of the Match: Alphonso Davies. The 17-year-old has been richly hyped since his signing in July 2016, and deservedly so. But his first MLS goal is a key milestone that's now in the bag, and it capped an all-action performance full of energy, endeavor and imagination. By the looks of it, coach Carl Robinson will have a hard time keeping him out of his everyday XI this year.