Seattle Sounders 1, CD Guadalajara 0 | CCL Quarterfinals Recap
Clint Dempsey had the winning tally for the hosts, who will carry an edge in the two-legged series before the away fixture in one week's time.
Both teams had multiple close calls on the night, with Stefan Frei making two important saves for the Sounders, on Alejandro Mayorga in the 11th minute and on Alan Pulido in the 33rd. The Sounders did not dominate proceedings in a fairly even match, but had several good looks themselves, with Dempsey coming close in the first half, and Will Bruin pinging a header off the post shortly after halftime.
But Homegrown attacker Henry Wingo came off the bench and slotted in a sharp low cross that Dempsey blasted into the net in the 78th minute, to give the Sounders a small, if still significant, edge in the series.
- 78' - SEA - Clint Dempsey
- The Big Picture: A win over Liga MX opposition can never be taken for granted, even at home, so this is a good result for the Sounders. They also kept a clean sheet from Chivas, so if the series is tied in the return leg and the Sounders score there, they'll have the away goals edge. Still, we've seen these knockout series start with a good first-leg result for an MLS side and the Mexican team crushing in the second game. Will that happen here? Stay tuned.
- Moment of the Match: The goal was the play of the game, no doubt. Wingo only played 17 minutes, but he looked sharp on the right flank, and his cross on the goal was the bit of incisive play Seattle needed. Add to that Dempsey's scoring touch and knowledge of the big moments, and this could be one that is remembered in Seattle for some time.
- Man of the Match: Dempsey had the goal, but Frei's four saves really kept Seattle in the match until the end, and on top of that, he kept a potentially vital clean sheet. Here's hoping he'll be ready against Chivas one more time in the return leg, because he'll most likely need to be.
- SEA: CCL: Wednesday, Mar. 14, vs. Chivas (10 pm ET | UDN, go90.com)