Columbus Crew SC 3, Montreal Impact 2 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
Columbus Crew SC got out to a 2-0 lead against the Montreal Impact inside of 15 minutes, lost the lead, and then won it back on a stoppage-time PK by Gyasi Zardes — adding up to a 3-2 win in Crew SC's 2018 home opener at MAPFRE Stadium on Saturday afternoon.
Federico Higuain scored his 50th career MLS regular-season goal to open the scoring, making good on a penalty awarded when Montreal's Jukka Raitala fouled Lalas Abubakar in the box. Zardes repeated last week's feat by doubling the Columbus lead moments later, finishing on a wild free-kick sequence.
- 12' – CLB – Federico Higuain (PK) Watch
- 15' – CLB – Gyasi Zardes Watch
- 59' – MTL – Ignacio Piatti Watch
- 85' – MTL – Raheem Edwards Watch
- 90' + 4' – CLB – Gyasi Zardes (PK) Watch
- THE BIG PICTURE: The dramatic win got the Crew SC first to six points in the young season, putting them in a good, early position in what looks to be a competitive Eastern Conference. The Impact, meanwhile, are left looking for their first result of 2018 after coming tantalizingly close.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Edwards, poised to be the hero with his late volley, fouled Crew SC substitute Luis Argudo in the match's dying moments of the match. Zardes then stepped up to confidently bury the game-winning PK.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Do we have a Golden Boot contender in our midst? Though Higuain got a milestone goal to open Crew SC's scoring, Zardes delivered the two goals Columbus needed for the win, and nearly had two others. He's looking to be a dangerous center forward with his new team.