New England Revolution 2, Colorado Rapids 1 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
Tierney, who came on as a first-half replacement for an injured Gabriel Somi, scored from just outside of the 18-yard box as the Revs bounced back from a season-opening loss to the Philadelphia Union.
Colorado had a golden chance to equalize six minutes later when Jack Price stepped to the penalty spot after Jalil Anibaba took down Jack MeBean in the box. But Matt Turner dove to his right to make the save and Price skied the rebound over the crossbar.
- 48’ — NE — Diego Fagundez | WATCH
- 66’ — COL — Niki Jackson | WATCH
- 90’ + 3’ — NE — Chris Tierney | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: What a dramatic first MLS coaching win for Brad Friedel, who saw his team take all three points at the death after conceding an equalizer midway through the second half. It was especially impressive considering he was without three first-choice defenders with the central pairing of Antonio Milnar Delamea and Claude Dielna suspended after Week 1 red cards and Somi going off with a head injury in the first half.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: The Rapids would go on to level a few minutes later, but Turner, who has apparently supplanted Brad Knighton as the Revs' first-choice goalkeeper, was shaping up to the be the hero for the Revs with a terrific diving save on a Price PK. His performance, as well as that from the somewhat makeshift defense in front of him, is a good sign for New England.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Who else but Tierney, who calmly put his free kick from just outside the 18-yard box in off the Rapids wall to send the freezing Revs fans home happy.