Sporting Kansas City 3, San Jose Earthquakes 2 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
Although SKC were the better side, their breakthrough came on a penalty. San Jose goalkeeper Andrew Tarbell came lunging out of goal to stop a promising attack in the box, in the process, he sent Johnny Russell somersaulting through the air and conceded a penalty kick. Ilie Sanchez stepped up to the spot and finished coolly. The Quakes equalized quickly as Kansas City's defense lapsed to allow a Valeri Qazaishvili goal before halftime.
After the break, however, SKC surged. Graham Zusi fired a stunner from outside of the box and Felipe Gutierrez later added a crucial goal that would end up being the game-winner. The Quakes kept it close with an extra time goal from Chris Wondolowski, but it just wasn't enough.
- 25' - SKC - Ilie Sanchez Watch
- 34' - SJ - Valeri Qazaishvili Watch
- 56' - SKC - Graham Zusi Watch
- 68' - SKC - Felipe Gutierrez Watch
- 90'+1 - SJ - Chris Wondolowski Watch
- THE BIG PICTURE: Sporting Kansas City needed to prove to themselves they could look more like the defense of 2017 after they started this season conceding multiple goals back to back. But they lapsed when they should've held on and gave up multiple goals again. The San Jose Earthquakes defense, too, looked worrisome. Now the Quakes have conceded multiple goals in back-to-back games as well.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Everyone loves a golazo and Graham Zusi scored a stunner to put the match away for Sporting Kansas City. Thank goodness the Earthquakes defense didn't step to Zusi when he cut inside to find the shot. Just look at it for yourself:
- MAN OF THE MATCH: It's been quite the start to his MLS career for Felipe Gutierrez and he deserved the nod for another impressive outing vs. the Earthquakes. In his third MLS match, Gutierrez was a constant threat, moved the ball well and generally made Sporting Kansas City more dangerous. By the time he scored his goal, it was well-deserved that he show up on the score sheet. Ultimately, his goal sealed victory for Kansas City.