Colorado Rapids 3, Philadelphia Union 0 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
Dominique Badji struck for a hat trick to help lift the Colorado Rapids to a 3-0 win over the Philadelphia Union Saturday night at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park. It is the first win for new coach Anthony Hudson.
Badji added his second eight minutes later when he received a cross from Dillon Serna and laid it off for Johan Blomberg, whose shot deflected off Union defender Jack Elliott. The ball caromed right to Badji, who calmly finished into the empty net with Andre Blake having challenged the initial shot.
Badji completed the hat trick, the first for the Rapids since Sanna Nyassi in July, 2011, three minutes from full time as the Rapids extended a home unbeaten streak to six games, while Philadelphia (1-1-1) suffered their first loss of the season and is now winless in 13 straight games away from Talen Energy Stadium.
- 53’ — COL — Dominique Badji | WATCH
- 61’ — COL — Dominique Badji | WATCH
- 87’ — COL — Dominique Badjji | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: The Rapids had a two-goal lead a week ago, but they saw Sporting KC level in second-half stoppage time to spoil the home opener. Not this time. Colorado showed poise and determination to make sure this lead held.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: It has to be Badji’s second goal, which he helped facilitate with a nifty layoff for Blomberg. When the Swede’s shot was partially blocked by Elliott, Badji was in the perfect spot to push the insurance marker in.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Badji might have been in the right place at the right time, but isn’t that part of being a good striker? The fourth-year pro was opportunistic to finish twice inside of eight minutes (on two shots for the game) to secure his team’s first win of the season.