Guadalajara vs. New York Red Bulls | Concacaf Champions League Preview
New York Red Bulls vs. Chivas de Guadalajara
2018 Concacaf Champions League – Semifinals, Leg 1
Estadio Akron — Guadalajara
10 pm ET — April 4, 2018
WATCH: UDN, univisiondeportes.com, go90.com
It’s Round 2 of the Major League Soccer-Liga MX Concacaf Champions League semifinals showdown as the New York Red Bulls seek a second win on Mexican soil when they head to Estadio Akron to take on Chivas de Guadalajara.
Guadalajara appeared on the ropes following a 1-0 loss to Seattle Sounders FC in the first leg of the quarterfinals at CenturyLink Field, but Chivas roared back for a comprehensive 3-0 second-leg victory.
The New York Red Bulls made history with the first multi-goal win in Mexico by an MLS team and the first knockout stage victory when they defeated Club Tijuana, 2-0, at Estadio Caliente followed by a thorough 3-1 home conquest.
- Marsch: Chivas present "bigger task" than Xolos
- Red Bulls on Chivas clash: We need to be smart
- Stejskal: How TFC, RBNY are balancing MLS with CCL
- Wiebe: MLS must keep eye on the prize in CCL
- Are TFC or Red Bulls better bet to win CCL?
After knocking off Cibao from the Dominican Republic, 7-0, in the Round of 16, Chivas were up against the wall following a 1-0 loss at Seattle, facing pressure from within and from the press. But despite being without Alan Pulido to suspension, Chivas raised their level at home and cruised to a 3-0 second-leg victory.
A few weeks ago, Guadalajara was putting all their focus on the CCL after it appeared their playoff hopes were all but dashed following a thrilling 0-0 draw with rival Club America. But a rejuvenated Chivas is suddenly back in the hunt, moving up to 12th, two points out of a Liguilla spot following a 2-1 win over Morelia. Rodolfo Pizarro netted both goals for a rotated Chivas squad.
- Suspended: None
- Suspended after next caution: Jesus Godinez, Rodolfo Cota, Carlos Cisneros, Orbelin Pineda, Edwin Hernandez
- Injury Report: OUT: D - Jesus Sanchez (right knee); M - Alan Cervantes (left knee), D - Hedgardo Marin (right thigh); QUESTIONABLE: M - Eduardo Lopez (leg)
Projected Starting XI
(4-4-1-1, right to left)
GK: Rodolfo Cota — Carlos Cisneros, Carlos Salcido, Oswaldo Alanis, Edwin Hernandez — Isaac Brizuela, Michael Perez, Orbelin Pineda, Rodolfo Pizarro — Alan Pulido — Jose de Jesus Godinez
New York Red Bulls
Unlike Chivas, the Red Bulls have yet to suffer a loss in the CCL and have only conceded twice, defeating Olimpia of Honduras, 3-1, on aggregate in the Round of 16 before knocking off Club Tijuana, 5-1, to reach the CCL semifinals for the first time in club history. Bradley Wright-Phillips has been a striker possessed with three goals and four assists in the competition.
A rotated Red Bulls squad cruised to a 4-0 win over the Portland Timbers in their league opener, but a similarly constructed squad fell to Orlando City SC, 4-3, Saturday afternoon. Florian Valot and Derrick Etienne both scored their first MLS goal and Aaron Long headed in a late equalizer before Josue Colman closed it out for the Lions four minutes later.
“What a great challenge that will be,” Red Bulls coach Jesse Marsch said after the loss in Orlando, shifting his focus to Guadalajara. “Really a lot of respect for the job [Chivas coach Matias] Almeyda has done with Chivas. They’re a really good team, and man that’s going to be an incredible challenge.”
- Suspended: None
- Suspended after next caution: Tyler Adams, Aurelien Collin, Danny Royer, Alex Muyl, Luis Robles, Derrick Etienne, Michael Murillo, Kemar Lawrence
- Injury Report: OUT: D - Fidel Escobar (hamstring)
Projected Starting XI
(4-2-3-1, right to left)
GK: Luis Robles — Kemar Lawrence, Tim Parker, Aaron Long, Michael Murillo — Tyler Adams, Marc Rzatkowski — Danny Royer, Sean Davis, Alex Muyl — Bradley Wright-Phillips
- This is the first-ever appearance between Guadalajara and the New York Red Bulls. They met in a preseason friendly on Feb. 15, 2011 with Chivas claiming a 3-2 home victory.
Referee: John Pitti (PAN)
Assistant Referees: Gabriel Victoria (PAN) and Christian Ramirez (HON)
4th Official: Kimbell Ward (SKN)