Atlanta United 4, Montreal Impact 1 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
Substitute Kevin Kratz hit a brace on a pair of sensational second-half free kicks, Miguel Almiron also bagged his second brace of the season, and Atlanta United completed a furious late comeback to complete a 4-1 victory over the Montreal Impact.
Almiron leveled from the spot in the 70th minute to spark the rally, which ran Atlanta's unbeaten run to seven matches (6-0-1) after they were hammered by Houston in their season opener.
Kratz bent his first gorgeous curler into the top corner eight minutes later, Almiron finally tucked away a chance from the run of play in the 84th minute, and then Kratz drove in yet another set piece strike to add insult to injury for Montreal.
Saphir Taider's early header for his first MLS goal gave the Impact the lead. But Montreal have now conceded 16 times during a four-match losing stretch, with 13 of those goals coming after halftime.
- 13' - MTL - Saphir Taider Watch
- 70' - ATL - Miguel Almiron (PK) Watch
- 78' - ATL - Kevin Kratz Watch
- 84' - ATL - Miguel Almiron Watch
- 90'+4' - ATL - Kevin Kratz Watch
- THE BIG PICTURE: The Impact are in trouble. Their 25 goals conceded are by far a league worst. And their 16 in their last four games are more than all but two other MLS teams had conceded over the entire season entering Saturday.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Chris Duvall bent in a gorgeous service on Taider's opener. But it was his handball that led to Almiron's equalizing penalty, which finally gave the hosts a little bit of confidence to go with their dominance of possession throughout the match.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Sometimes it's about brilliant moments rather than sustained dominance. And in his 16-minute cameo, Kratz provided two memories those at Mercedez-Benz stadium won't forget anytime soon.
PUT THIS KEVIN KRATZ FREE KICK IN THE HIGH MUSEUM IMMEDIATELY.— FOX Sports South (@FOXSportsSouth) April 28, 2018
2⃣ perfect free kicks from the veteran today.