New York City FC 3, FC Dallas 1 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
New York City FC are very difficult to beat when David Villa is fit, in form and on song, and El Guaje was definitely that on Sunday, leading the blue half of New York to a 3-1 win over FC Dallas marked by his 400th and 401st career goals across all competitions.
First the Spaniard netted his milestone strike from the penalty spot after Video Review was used to penalize a handball by Reto Ziegler in the 35th minute. Then after the break, he capped a quick NYCFC counterattack to ice a result that ends FCD's undefeated start to the season, leaving no team in MLS without a blemish in 2018.
- 3' - NYC - Jesus Medina | WATCH
- 10' - DAL - Santiago Mosquera | WATCH
- 36' - NYC - David Villa (PK) | WATCH
- 69' - NYC - David Villa | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: Dallas are no longer undefeated, and may need to take stock if they are to keep pace with the MLS elite, with Villa & Co. reminding us all that NYCFC are most definitely at the head of the class.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: The penalty call on Ziegler was easy to miss in real time and took a while for the refereeing crew to sort out, but once Villa was at the spot, there was no way back for FCD.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: No surprises here. It was David Villa's day, as the Spanish legend's past, present and enduring excellence was rightly celebrated and put to use by his team.