Toronto FC 3, Philadelphia Union 0 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
The home side firmly controlled the run of play, dominating in scoring chances and keeping the ball in Philadelphia's end for most of the game. Picking up full points in one of their games in hand on the rest of the Eastern Conference brings TFC back into the fold of competitive teams out East following their run to the Concacaf Champions League final.
They doubled their lead in the 65th minute, as a mazy run by Sebastian Giovinco was capped off with a shot that did just enough to beat Andre Blake in the Union goal. Substitute Jay Chapman added a late tally to fully seal up the win for Toronto.
- 28' – TOR – Victor Vazquez | WATCH
- 65' – TOR – Sebastian Giovinco | WATCH
- 89' – TOR – Jay Chapman | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: Both teams needed a win here, and TFC looked like the elite team they've been in a fairly comfortable result. The struggles for Philly continue, however, after their rousing victory last week, and the same issues on both ends (inexperience on defense, lack of incisive play in attack) came roaring back in an admittedly tricky road tie.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Playing as the primary striker with Jozy Altidore out injured, Giovinco's goal was a vintage moment of magic from the Italian.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Vazquez was very good in the first half in particular, but Giovinco, with a goal and assist, had the performance that ensured TFC would return to winning ways in league play.