Chicago Fire 1, Atlanta United FC 2 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
Continuing a trend, the game was close throughout, but Atlanta had more difference-makers than their opponents, and on this occasion it took two moments of magic to seal the win against a game Chicago side.
Atlanta United defender Franco Escobar cleaned up a Nemanja Nikolic chance off the goal line in the opening minutes. But the dam opened in the second half, as Atlanta United's attack got into gear. First, Ezequiel Barco opened his MLS account in the 53rd minute, and Josef Martinez got on the scoresheet four minutes later.
But the Fire didn't give up, as defender Kevin Ellis tallied his first goal for the side with an impressive lob just after the hour mark. Despite that, Chicago couldn't get a second late comeback draw in as many weeks.
- 53' – ATL – Ezequiel Barco | WATCH
- 57' – ATL – Josef Martinez | WATCH
- 61' – CHI – Kevin Ellis | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: It was more of the same on both sides, as Atlanta extended their unbeaten run, already best in the league at the moment, and Chicago put in a spirited performance, but this time the comeback fell short.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: The winning goal looked like it might get called back at first, but Darlington Nagbe's run through Chicago's defense was so smooth it left the Fire backline flat-footed, and a deft pass to Martinez led to an easy goal.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: It may sound like a broken record, but Miguel Almiron put in yet another MVP-caliber performance, setting up the first goal and pushing the tempo all over the field all game.