Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2, Houston Dynamo 2 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
The Dynamo opened the scoring in the 35th minute, as substitute Boniek Garcia sent a long switch to Alberth Elis, who found Tomas Martinez in the box, and the Argentine's effort to the far post was on the mark.
Just before halftime, Vancouver tied up the game, as a quick free kick routine initiated by Felipe led to a cross at the endline by Waston, with his center back partner Jose Aja flicking it into the net for his first career MLS goal.
In the 70th minute, Houston goalkeeper Joe Willis made a terrific save on a Waston header to keep the game tied. Willis made another big stop in the dying minutes, as a wide-open goal for substitute Brek Shea resulted in a mis-hit that the 'keeper got enough of a touch to in order to keep out of the net.
Then Mauro Manotas stepped up in the 90th minute, latching onto a bouncing ball near the top of Vancouver's box and blasting it past 'Caps goalkeeper Brian Rowe to put the visitors ahead once more. But Waston was the ultimate hero, as his header off a free kick in the 94th minute ensured the teams would share the points.
- 35' – HOU – Tomas Martinez | WATCH
- 44' – VAN – Jose Aja | WATCH
- 90' – HOU – Mauro Manotas | WATCH
- 94' – VAN – Kendall Waston | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: Both teams had their moments, but on balance it was a fair result. Vancouver produced an attacking onslaught in the second half, but after Manotas' goal it looked as though Houston would escape with three points after holding firm in the back. In the end, Waston's goal was reward for a solid performance for the home side.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: It has to be Waston's equalizer, coming on what was essentially the final play of the match.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Willis, Felipe and Aja perhaps deserve some consideration, but Kendall Waston gets the nod in this game. A goal and an assist, in a performance where the central defender was determined to pitch in on the attack, made the difference between a loss and draw for the Whitecaps.