Philadelphia Union 4, Real Salt Lake 1 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
The Philadelphia Union held off Real Salt Lake on a rainy Saturday night to win, 4-1, at Talen Energy Stadium. The Union dominated the first half at home with eyes set on their first back-to-back win of the season.
Twenty minutes into the match, Fafa Picault slotted a ball for the sprinting Marcus Epps who quickly tapped the ball in. Philadelphia kept the pressure, playing the majority of the first half in Real Salt Lake's box. Despite veteran goalkeeper Nick Rimando's best efforts, Philadelphia chipped in a second goal just before halftime.
Salt Lake found a spark, striking first in the second half, but it was too late. Ilsinho and Keegan Rosenberry added insurance goals in the final 20 minutes. Philadelphia defeated Real Salt Lake for the first time in the history of the matchup, which now stands 4-1-6.
- 21' – PHI – Marcus Epps | Watch
- 34' – PHI – Borek Dockal | Watch
- 65' – RSL – Damir Kreilach | Watch
- 74' – PHI – Ilsinho | Watch
- 81' – PHI – Keegan Rosenberry | Watch
- THE BIG PICTURE: Philadelphia Union sustained pressure on Real Salt Lake's back line for the majority of the match. While Rimando was commanding in between the posts, the Salt Lake center backs lacked luster. Philadelphia took advantage and converted 4-of-10 shots on target. After struggling to start the season, this helps provide the Union with needed momentum. On the other side of the pitch, Real Salt Lake still lacks a crucial win on the road.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Philadelphia commanded the match from the start. Picault's run, which led to the subsequent Epps goal, set a tone that Real Salt Lake could not silence. The Union's four goals overshadow six standout saves by Rimando.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: From start to finish, Fafa Picault controlled the Union attack. He was outstanding for Philadelphia, recording an assist and three shots on goal. Picault added to his performance when he stepped in up top for CJ Sapong, who subbed off in the 64th minute.