Houston Dynamo 3, New York City FC 1 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
The game, in which the Dynamo paid tribute to the victims and survivors of the Santa Fe High School shooting, which took place in the greater Houston region, began with an early lead from the visitors, but the home side exerted their influence as the game wore on.
NYCFC opened the scoring just six minutes in, as a failed clearance attempt by the Dynamo led to David Villa getting a one-timer, his laser going straight into the net.
But the Dynamo tied up the match 15 minutes later, as a short free kick from just outside the left side of the 18-yard box was headed in by defender Alejandro Fuenmayor. The teams played a cagey match for nearly an hour after that, but Tomas Martinez notched the go-ahead goal in the 69th minute, before Alberth Elis notched an insurance tally in the final 10 minutes.
- 6' – NYC – David Villa | WATCH
- 21' – HOU – Alejandro Fuenmayor | WATCH
- 69' – HOU – Tomas Martinez | WATCH
- 80' – HOU – Alberth Elis | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: The Dynamo continued their ascent in the Western Conference, after a stretch of performances where they outperformed their results. NYCFC, meanwhile, struggled to keep pace in the Texas night and are still looking to get that spark back that served them well in the opening weeks.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Elis pulled out the 'ole Black Panther goal celebration, complete with the mask.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Martinez was busy on the night, scored the game-winner, and helped make the Dynamo attack unstoppable, and he gets the nod in a game full of Dynamo nominees.