Colorado Rapids 2, Portland Timbers 3 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
Samuel Armenteros probably won't soon forget his most recent two matches.
The Portland Timbers forward followed up his late game-winner last week by netting a brace in the first half on Saturday at Dick's Sporting Goods Park, leading the Timbers to a 3-2 win over the slumping Colorado Rapids for Portland's sixth straight win.
Diego Valeri added his fifth goal of the season in the 56th minute after a giveaway led to a counterattack sprung by the Timbers' Sebastian Blanco, who crossed wide to Valeri for Blanco's second assist of the match.
The Rapids' Yannick Boli had a goal disallowed on video review in the final minutes, then put away a penalty kick on the last play before the final whistle.
- 29' – POR – Samuel Armenteros | WATCH
- 31' – COL – Julio Cascante (OG) | WATCH
- 37' – POR – Samuel Armenteros | WATCH
- 56' – POR – Diego Valeri | WATCH
- 90+9' – COL – Yannick Boli (PK) | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: The Timbers probably aren't thinking much about the big picture. Their franchise-best winning streak continues, and they'll spend almost a month at home with only two league matches and a US Open Cup game on the docket before the World Cup break. If not for Cascante's own goal and his foul that gave them the penalty, the Rapids might have been embarrassed at home. And it won't get much easier with Vancouver and Houston, plus a road game at Nashville in the US Open Cup, on the upcoming schedule.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Armenteros' first goal was nifty and set the tone for how difficult he was to mark.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Blanco had a hand in all three goals and showed great pace and ball placement. But Armenteros is on a scoring tear, making coach Giovanni Savarese look smart for inserting him at the top of the formation in place of Fanendo Adi.