Vancouver Whitecaps 3, New England Revolution 3 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
The Whitecaps managed to come from behind and scrape together a point at home thanks to a Cristian Techera hat trick.
Vancouver started the match on the wrong foot as forward Kei Kamara shot a close-range ball directly into goalkeeper Matt Turner. The misfortunes continued in the 26th minute when a defensive mistake from defender Aly Ghazal resulted in an own goal.
The saving grace for Vancouver came in the form of Techera, who quickly scored twice to start the second half.
The goals did not stop there. Following a Teal Bunbury goal to take the lead for New England, Kamara made another point-blank miss against his former club. Once again Techera, who tallied his third and final goal of the match, saved the day.
- 26' – NE – Aly Ghazal (OG) | WATCH
- 48' – NE – Cristian Penilla | WATCH
- 49' – VAN – Cristian Techera | WATCH
- 51' – VAN – Cristian Techera | WATCH
- 59' – NE – Teal Bunbury | WATCH
- 74' – VAN – Cristian Techera | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: Kamara committed two major mistakes against his former club and failed to score. While Vancouver sit in the middle of the table, Kamara cannot afford to miss go-ahead chances. This is Vancouver's fourth draw in a row.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: For every mistake Vancouver made, Techera had a response. He battled the Revolution and his team's misfortune, finishing the night with a hat trick.
Cristian Techera of @WhitecapsFC has scored his first #MLS hat trick, the first for Vancouver since 2013. The 25-minute span for the 3 goals (49, 51, 74) equals the 28th-fastest in league history.— MLS Communications (@MLS_PR) May 26, 2018
It was the 3rd-longest active streak since the last hat trick among current clubs
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Techera put the 'Caps on his back.