Colorado Rapids 1, Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
The Whitecaps, who had gone four straight games with a draw, upgraded to get three points in a match where both teams were desperate for a win. On the other side, Colorado lost their seventh straight game, the longest losing streak in the league this year.
The Whitecaps opened the scoring in the 17th minute, as Yordy Reyna and Cristian Techera initiated a counterattack, with Techera scoring his fourth goal in two games. Reyna then capitalized on a poor clearance in the 39th minute to double Vancouver's lead.
But Edgar Castillo opened his MLS account in some style with a beautiful blast with the outside of his boot from distance two minutes later to put the Rapids on the board.
After the break, the Whitecaps were more conservative in their play, in an effort to conserve energy and maintain their lead. But while the Rapids had a couple of decent looks, they could not find a second goal on the night and lost once more.
- 17' – VAN – Cristian Techera | WATCH
- 39' – VAN – Yordy Reyna | WATCH
- 41' – COL – Edgar Castillo | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: The Whitecaps got a needed win, but the bigger story here may be the Rapids loss, as the seven-game run they're on is the worst in MLS play since 2014, when four teams, including the Rapids, each had a losing streak of at least seven games.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: It was a consolation goal in the end, but Castillo's golazo was a rare treat for the DSGP crowd.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Reyna is an easy choice, involved in both goals for the Whitecaps, including scoring the winner, and his tricky play tied up the Colorado defense in knots all game.