Sporting Kansas City 4, Minnesota United FC 1 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
Sporting Kansas City were without two of their three starting forwards on Sunday night against Minnesota United FC, but that didn't seem to affect Peter Vermes' team as they beat the Loons 4-1 at Children's Mercy Park.
After applying a ton of pressure on Minnesota's defense to start the match Daniel Salloi found Sporting's opener in the ninth minute, firing a laser past a stunned Bobby Shuttleworth. But the lead didn't hold for long as Tyrone Mears knuckled a long-range blast into the back of the net two minutes later.
With Yohan Croizet going down with a hamstring injury, Vermes turned to 19-year-old Homegrown midfielder Wan Kuzain Wan Kamal in the 18th minute and the midfielder found the game-winner 17 minutes later. After a Graham Zusi pullback was cleared, Kuzain was able to hit the ball first time through a barrage of Loons defenders. It was able to get past Shuttleworth after a deflection as the teenager scored in just his second professional appearance.
Cristian Lobato provided the clincher just three minutes later after a give-and-go with Roger Espinoza. Lobato started on the right of the forward line, with Gerso Fernandes making his first start on the left, as Johnny Russell (international duty) and Khiry Shelton (thigh injury) missed the match.
Maximiano entered for Alexi Gomez at halftime but lasted just 18 minutes, being shown yellow cards in the 48th and 63rd minutes. Diego Rubio scored SKC's fourth goal after coming on for Lobato against a scrambling Minnesota defense.
- 9' - SKC - Daniel Salloi Watch
- 11' - MIN - Tyrone Mears Watch
- 35' - SKC - Wan Kuzain Wan Kamal Watch
- 38' - SKC - Cristian Lobato Watch
- 81' - SKC - Diego Rubio Watch
- THE BIG PICTURE: Sporting KC go back atop the Western Conference after briefly losing the top spot to FC Dallas on Saturday. Their superior goal differential definitely places them as the top dog in the West for now. A loss at Children's Mercy Park is no catastrophe for the Loons.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: The two stunners just minutes apart were a highlight, but Kuzain's game-winner was a special moment for the player and team. It was just his second appearance since signing with the first team less than two months ago.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Lobato was good in a rare start, Ilie controlled the midfield, but Graham Zusi was a terror down the right side in the first half. He created four chances and frustrated Gomez in the first half.
SKC: Wednesday, June 6 at Real Salt Lake | U.S. Open Cup (10 pm ET)
MIN: Wednesday, June 6 at FC Cincinnati | U.S. Open Cup (7:30 pm ET)