LA Galaxy 3, Real Salt Lake 0 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
RSL held the Galaxy to a scoreless draw for 60 minutes, which included Justen Glad making a heroic defensive stand to deny a seemingly-sure Zlatan goal from crossing the line. But in the 61st minute, RSL 'keeper Nick Rimando, attempting to punch a ball out, unintentionally set up Zlatan for a short header to open the scoring. In the 67th minute, Zlatan made it a brace.
Ola Kamara, denied in a one-on-one situation with Rimando just prior to the opening goal, got himself on the scoreboard in the 77th minute to close out the scoring.
- 61' – LA – Zlatan Ibrahimovic | WATCH
- 67' – LA – Zlatan Ibrahimovic | WATCH
- 77' – LA – Ola Kamara | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: For the Galaxy, this was a resounding home victory against a team who still stays 5th in the West. While it might be a stretch to call this a statement win, it does puts other West teams on notice that the Galaxy are in the playoff mix. For Real Salt Lake, it's a tough loss that doesn't help the lopsided goal differential they don't want figuring into any potential playoff tiebreakers.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: The match turned on Zlatan's opening goal — though it really heated up eight minutes prior on Jorgen Skjelvik's foul of a breaking-for-goal Corey Baird — which drew a yellow card, but not the DOGSO considerations the RSL faithful wanted. That call kicked the match into a higher gear, ultimately to the Galaxy's advantage.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Is there any question? Ibrahimovic's aerial prowess and abilities in front of goal allow him to — on the right day — singularly transform a match. And this was definitely the right day.