Seattle Sounders 2, DC United 1 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
Seattle looked to break free of a recent winless streak while United looked to build on recent West Coast momentum. After an evenly matched first half, the teams entered halftime scoreless.
Forward Darren Mattocks opened scoring for United in the 53rd minute, cleaning up a shot from Paul Arriola, but United could not maintain that offense. Seattle quickly countered less than five minutes later with a volley at the top of the box from Nicolás Lodeiro for the equalizer.
A strong series of possession and passing from Seattle led to the final goal. In the 83rd minute, Cristian Roldan sent a ball into the box, which was all Magnus Wolff Eikrem needed. Wolff Eikrem headed in the cross for his first goal of the season and the Seattle win.
- 53' – DC – Darren Mattocks | WATCH
- 57' – SEA – Nicolás Lodeiro | WATCH
- 83' – SEA – Magnus Wolff Eikrem | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: This win is a huge confidence boost for Seattle, who snapped a three-game MLS losing streak. The Sounders have one more match against the New York Red Bulls before the World Cup break. On the other side of the pitch, the Seattle victory means United's West Coast momentum came to a halting stop. After collecting four points in two matches in previous weeks, United return home empty-handed before traveling north for a Wednesday match against Toronto FC.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Wolff's late-game header woke up the sleepy Seattle match. The moment came with less than ten minutes to play.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Seattle goalkeeper Stefan Frei kept the Sounders in the match, but Wolff is the man that ultimately won it with his goal. The super substitute came in clutch. With five saves for Frei and the game-winner for Wolff, the two player split tonight's man of the match.