Vancouver Whitecaps FC 5, Orlando City SC 2 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
Kei Kamara put the finishing touches on a sensational solo effort by Davies to give the Whitecaps (6-5-5) a 1-0 lead in the 36th minute.
But Davies capped a man of the match performance by scoring his second MLS goal in the 76th minute to open the floodgates late. Kamara tacked on an insurance penalty after Video Review ruled that Yordy Reyna was fouled in the box, before Davies set up Reyna and Nicolas Mezquida late. Dom Dwyer added a cosmetic goal for the Lions in stoppage time.
- 36’ — VAN — Kei Kamara | WATCH
- 64’ — ORL — Sacha Klejstan | WATCH
- 76’ — VAN — Alphonso Davies | WATCH
- 85’ — VAN — Kei Kamara (PK) | WATCH
- 87’ — VAN — Yordy Reyna | WATCH
- 90’ — VAN — Nicolas Mezquida | WATCH
- 90’+4’ — ORL — Dom Dwyer | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: It is a perfect way for the Whitecaps to go into their World Cup break, doing so on a six-match unbeaten streak, winning the last two and scoring five times vs. the Lions, who have dropped five straight.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Just when it seemed the Lions would escape BC Place with a point, Davies did more damage, knocking in a rebound after a great effort from Jake Nerwinski to save the ball from going over the endline.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Alphonso Davies was a man possessed, utilizing his speed and touch to constantly punish the Lions. A threat throughout, he assisted on Kamara’s goal and also drew a pair of yellow cards — all in the first half. He then netted the second-half winner.