New York Red Bulls 3, FC Dallas 0 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
Bradley Wright-Phillips tapped in his 11th goal of the season, and was joined by Aaron Long and Kemar Lawrence on the scoresheet as the New York Red Bulls completed an impressive 3-0 victory Saturday evening to snap FC Dallas' unbeaten run at seven matches.
Up 1-0 at the time, the Red Bulls kept attacking anyway, and after scoring twice more would finish the match even on players when Dallas' Reto Ziegler received a red card for kicking out at Lawrence's thigh late in the second half.
Dallas coach Oscar Pareja used all three of his subs by the 62nd minute in an attempt shift the momentum, including the removal of Kellyn Acosta after only 32 minutes. Dallas' attack improved marginally late, but rarely seriously threatened. When it did, Luis Robles made one of his six saves. Dallas playmaker Mauro Diaz did not feature after being left home by head coach Oscar Pareja.
- 23' - RBNY - Bradley Wright-Phillips Watch
- 39' - RBNY - Aaron Long Watch
- 48' - RBNY - Kemar Lawrence Watch
- THE BIG PICTURE: Dallas have only lost twice this season. But with the nature of this defeat and the recent memory of FCD's second-half swoon last season, there will be pressure to prove this isn't the start of another summer slide. New York, meanwhile, gave itself at least a chance to finish the weekend as high as second place in the Eastern Conference standings, depending on other results.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: With honorable mention to Long's stylish volley off a corner kick, the mood of the match was best captured several minutes before, when Pareja summoned Acosta in a first attempts to turn the tide. Acosta made way for Michael Barrios, and looked none too pleased as he left.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: While it took until the second half to officially get on the box score, attacking midfielder Alejandro Romero "Kaku" Gamarra played one of his best games in a Red Bulls shirt. His consistent passing and possession were a major reason his side never really looked like they were playing down a man.