Philadelphia Union 4, Vancouver Whitecaps FC 0 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
Ilsinho hit the ensuing PK and Picault tacked on his deep in stoppage time after Yordy Reyna was shown his second yellow card and ejected. The Union, who snapped a two-game losing skid in league play, outshot Vancouver by a 25-2 margin.
At halftime, Union icon Sebastien Le Toux was inducted as the first member into the club’s ring of honor, the fans in attendance roaring in delight as video montages were shown to commemorate the Frenchman who retired earlier this year.
- 24' — PHI — Borek Dockal | WATCH
- 71' — PHI — Borek Dockal | WATCH
- 74' — PHI — Ilsinho | WATCH
- 90'+5' — PHI — Fafa Picault | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: The win was an impressive one for the Union, who got a complete team effort to, at least for the time being, move above the playoff line in the East. In the big picture, a dud for the Whitecaps on the other side of the continent might not be the worst thing, although looking at the final boxscore might make them shudder.
MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Dockal’s first goal proved to be the winner but his second one best showcased his skills as he sliced through defenders at the edge of the box in the 71st minute to essentially put the game to bed.
MAN OF THE MATCH: Even aside from his two goals, Dockal was easily the best player on the field, commanding the right side and making some good passes across the box in the first half. The Czech DP, whose wife is expecting their second child this week, helped make up for the absence of the suspended Haris Medunjanin in the midfield and continues to play very well after a slow start to the season.